Booth, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 30, 2020


Booth is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and Farm Road 2759, eight miles southeast of Richmond in eastern Fort Bend County. The site was originally a part of the Henry Jones league in the Stephen F. Austin colony. Freeman Irby Booth founded the settlement in the 1890s, giving it his name. Booth was a major landowner in the county and operated a general store, a lumberyard, a cotton gin, and a syrup mill in the community. The town of Booth was granted a post office in 1894 and had a Baptist church, a school, and an estimated 150 inhabitants in 1896. In 1914 the community had an estimated 300 inhabitants, a bank, and telephone service. In 1926 the Booth schools served eighty-five White and 177 Black students. The population of the community stayed an estimated 100 from 1925 through 1948, and in the 1940s Booth had two churches, a school, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings. Booth's population fell to forty in 1949. In 1980 the community comprised a collection of dwellings and two businesses. Its population was estimated at sixty in 1990.

S. A. McMillan, comp., The Book of Fort Bend County (Richmond, Texas, 1926).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Booth, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/booth-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 30, 2020

Place
Booth
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378032
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fort Bend County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.52995980°
  • Longitude: -95.64994710°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2014