Boren, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Boren was on Sixmile Creek two miles southeast of Carthage in south central Panola County. It grew up around a mill established in the 1880s. For a time a railroad spur connected Boren to the main rail line in Carthage. A Boren post office operated from 1893 until 1905, when the mail was sent to Carthage. In 1896 Boren had a general store, a number of scattered houses, and an estimated population of 200. A school was in operation there by 1900. Most of the residents apparently moved to Carthage, however, and by the mid-1930s Boren was no longer shown on county highway maps.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Boren, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boren-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Boren
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County