Boswell, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Boswell is on Boswell Creek and a country road off Farm Road 1375, thirteen miles southeast of Huntsville in southeastern Walker County. In 1881 community residents organized the Boswell Creek Baptist Church. Members met in a nearby log schoolhouse until 1883, when a church building was constructed on donated land. In 1896 a post office opened at Boswell, and by 1914 the community had ten residents and a general store-post office operated by J. M. Baird. The post office closed in 1921. By 1940 Boswell had the church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. The community's Baptist church was rebuilt several times, and the structure built in 1928 still stood in 1982, when the church received a Texas Historical Commission marker. In 1990 the community was still named on the county highway map.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Boswell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boswell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Boswell
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1385475
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.60658660°
  • Longitude: -95.37744120°