Bowers and Piney Creek Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


The Bowers and Piney Creek Railway Company was chartered on March 28, 1889, to build from a point on the line of the Trinity and Sabine Railway in Polk County to the mouth of Piney Creek, on the Neches River in Tyler County, about ten miles total. The initial capitalization was $50,000, and the business office was in Bowers. Members of the first board of directors included A. W. Morris (president) and W. P. McComb from Montgomery; C. W. Putnam (vice president) from Kansas City, Missouri; William Wise of Beaumont; W. T. Carter of Barnum; G. H. Morris of Bowers; and William Dawson of Trinity. By 1890 the company completed thirteen miles from the junction of the Trinity and Sabine track to Piney Creek as a logging railroad. Its charter was revoked by the Texas legislature on April 1, 1891.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Bowers and Piney Creek Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bowers-and-piney-creek-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994