Bowieville, TX


By: Stephen L. Hardin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bowieville was a farming community on Farm Road 457 twelve miles southeast of Bay City in eastern Matagorda County. It was probably named for nearby Lake Bowie. In 1936 Bowieville had about ten dwellings but no businesses. By 1949 the community was within the Van Vleck Independent School District, and by 1978 Bowieville was no longer shown on the county highway map.

Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Stephen L. Hardin, “Bowieville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bowieville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bowieville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Matagorda County
Associated Names

Cedar Lake

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.94217980°
  • Longitude: -95.73914060°