Bowser, TX


By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bowser is near the intersection of Farm roads 45 and 765, nine miles north of Richland Springs in northwestern San Saba County. The community was established by residents who got flooded out of the nearby community of Bowser Bend. The Bowser post office operated from 1892 to 1921. The Martin gin began operating in Bowser in 1891 and continued to run there for about fifty years. Bowser had a population of 100 in 1896, when it also had a cotton gin, a school, a gristmill, and Methodist, Baptist, and Christian churches. By the early 1930s Bowser had two businesses and a population of twenty-four, and by the late 1940s its population had risen to fifty. The Bowser Community Church was still at the site in 1983. In 2000 the population was twenty.

San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Bowser, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bowser-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bowser
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379449
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Saba County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.40571890°
  • Longitude: -98.96226970°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009