Box Church, TX


By: Ray A. Walter

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Box Church is in the timbered region along McKenzie Creek four miles south of Groesbeck in central Limestone County. It was named for a church established in the community in the 1890s. One of the first schools there was established by Joseph H. Powell in the early 1850s. In 1886 Oscar Williams built the first store at the site. Dwindling population forced the school to consolidate with that of Groesbeck in 1950. In 1988 Box Church had two stores, a trailer-manufacturing plant, and a population of forty-five. The population was still forty-five in 2000.

Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ray A. Walter, “Box Church, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/box-church-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Box Church
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034746
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Limestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.46767310°
  • Longitude: -96.48747770°
Population Counts
People Year
45 2009