Box, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Box was four miles southeast of the site of what is now Vernon in central Wilbarger County. The settlement was named for the surrounding five-mile-square school district. The school, established there about 1893, became the community center for nearby residents. In 1916 the school's name was changed from Box to East Vernon. A grocery store was built nearby in 1925 but closed in 1931. The school was divided between the Vernon and Oklaunion school districts in 1949. Reunions were held at the old school building, near the intersections of Farm roads 1949 and 433, until 1981.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Box, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/box-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Box
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.11783700°
  • Longitude: -99.23027100°