Boxwood, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Boxwood, on Farm Road 1649 twelve miles northeast of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was probably founded in the 1880s or early 1890s. A post office operated there from 1895 to 1906. Around 1900 Boxwood had a population of thirty. In the mid-1930s the community comprised a school, a store, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the Ore City school, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of Boxwood was a few widely scattered houses. In 2000 the population was twenty.

Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Boxwood, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boxwood-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Boxwood
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378040
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Upshur County
Associated Names

Glade Spring

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.78374690°
  • Longitude: -94.75493150°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009