Frank Douglas Boyd, physician, son of John A. and Amy E. (Harrison) Boyd, was born on Christmas Eve, 1867, at Rusk, Texas. He demonstrated an interest in medicine while attending public school in Cherokee County. After completing his undergraduate work at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University), he left for Kentucky to study medicine at the University of Louisville. He received his degree in 1890 and left for New York, where he did additional study before leaving for San Antonio, Texas. There he established his first medical practice and, on April 21, 1892, married Mattie E. Callaban. The couple had three children, but their two sons did not survive childhood.
In 1897 Boyd moved to Fort Worth and opened an office with Dr. Charles Head. The two men quickly established a reputation as leading eye, ear, nose, and throat specialists. In addition to his medical practice Boyd lectured on hygiene and physical diagnosis at the medical school of Fort Worth University (now Texas Wesleyan University). Later he joined the staff of Baylor Medical College in Dallas as professor of otolaryngology. To keep abreast of his field he did postgraduate work in Vienna, Berlin, and London. He also found time to volunteer his services as an oculist for the State Masonic Orphans Home in Fort Worth.
Boyd was a member of the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology; he was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He chaired the Board of Council of the State Medical Association and in 1914 was president of the Texas State Medical Association (see TEXAS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION). During the last two decades of his medical practice he was the senior member of Boyd and Boyne Hospital in Fort Worth. In addition, he was a Scottish Rite Mason and Baptist deacon. He continued to practice medicine until he died, after a brief illness, on January 4, 1929. He was buried in Fort Worth.