Boyds Chapel, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Boyds Chapel is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 180 and Farm Road 126, in west central Jones County. The site was settled in the early 1890s and named for Alex Boyd. A school was built there in 1895. Various faiths met in a church built by the Methodists until the Baptists also built a church. A local school district was established in 1927, but some years later the school closed. Boyds Chapel had a store from 1916 until sometime after 1947.

Hooper Shelton and Homer Hutto, The First 100 Years of Jones County (Stamford, Texas: Shelton, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Boyds Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boyds-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Boyds Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1331159
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jones County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.75761290°
  • Longitude: -100.08398990°