Boydston, near Interstate Highway 40 and the Donley county line twenty-four miles south of Pampa in southwestern Gray County, began in northern Donley County. Henry Sanford Boydston was the first settler in the area and donated land for a burial ground. A post office named Boydston opened in 1891. In 1903 the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway built through the area and constructed a siding just across the county line from the settlement; the community's post office was subsequently moved to the new Gray County location. While the community was probably named for Henry Boydston, some sources say it was named for H. S. Boyd, an official of the railroad. John Fraser had opened a general store in Boydston by 1910. In 1930 the community had a store and a population of ten. By 1941 it reported two businesses and a population of forty, figures that remained stable through 1964. After 1940 local residents' mail was sent through Groom. The completion of Interstate Highway 40 led to the community's demise. By 1980, when the railroad ceased operations there, only a cow shed and two abandoned grain elevators remained at the site.