Bracken, TX (Panola County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Bracken (Brackens) was a farming community off Farm Road 31 fifteen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. The site was first settled between 1835 and 1838 by the Thomas Bracken family, and in 1900 the settlement had a blacksmith shop, a gristmill, and a syrup mill. By the mid-1930s only a few scattered houses and a cemetery remained in the area. In the early 1990s the site was still marked by a cemetery.

John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Bracken, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bracken-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading