Brad, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Brad, on U.S. Highway 180 and State Highway 16 twenty miles west of Mineral Wells in west central Palo Pinto County, was named for its founder, Bradford Fitzgerald. In 1940 Brad had twenty-eight residents and three stores. After the completion of the Possum Kingdom dam in 1945, Brad became one of the entry points to Possum Kingdom Reservoir and its recreational facilities. The community's population was reported as twenty-six in 1980 and 1990. The population was sixteen in 2000.

J. C. Koen, A Social and Economic History of Palo Pinto County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1949).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Brad, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brad-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Brad
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378043
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Palo Pinto County
Associated Names

Cedar Knob

Oxford

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.75179170°
  • Longitude: -98.50783300°
Population Counts
People Year
16 2009
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until December 22, 2022
Adopted by:
Krista Fowles
Dedication Message:
In honor of Bradley A Fowles