Branch, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Branch is on the shoreline of Lavon Lake eleven miles southeast of McKinney in southern Collin County. The settlement was named for J. T. Branch, who operated a general store there. A post office operated at the community from 1901 until 1903, when mail was routed through nearby Clear Lake. In 1960 the population of Branch was twenty-five; in 1980 and 1990 it was estimated at 447. The population remained unchanged in 2000.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Branch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/branch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Branch
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034632
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.10261800°
  • Longitude: -96.51609940°
Population Counts
People Year
530 2009