The Advocate of the People's Rights, a weekly newspaper published in Brazoria by Oliver H. Allen and John A. Wharton, was possibly printed on a press belonging to Daniel W. Anthony. It was opposed to Stephen F. Austin. Wharton soon withdrew from the venture because of lack of popular support. The earliest known issue of the paper is dated November 23, 1833; on March 27, 1834, it was announced that the paper would resume publication when Allen returned from the United States. Two issues of the paper, those of February 22, 1834, and of March 27, 1834, are in the Barker Texas History Center at the University of Texas at Austin.