Brazos Point is on Farm Road 56 eleven miles northeast of Walnut Springs and fifty miles northwest of Waco in northeastern Bosque County. It was founded by Charles Walker Smith and Tom Willingham when they built a store, cotton gin, and mill beside the Brazos River. A school was erected for the settlement in 1860. The Brazos Point Community Church was located near the school. A post office was established in 1873. During the mid-1880s the town supported a steam cotton gin, a gristmill, a general store, a physician, and a population of 200. However, by 1896 the population had decreased to seventy-five and the post office had closed. The community moved to Farm Road 56 for better business opportunities. Population estimates remained at fifty between 1933 and 1947, after which no figures were recorded.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Karen Yancy, “Brazos Point, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brazos-point-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.