Breedlove, TX


By: Odessa Morrow Isbell

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Breedlove, sometimes called Needmore, was fifteen miles south of Gainesville in southern Cooke County. It was established in the early 1880s by a man named Fuqua and one named Breedlove. J. S. Riley donated land for a school in 1885. Before a school was built in nearby Hemming in 1890, children from that community also attended the Breedlove school. Though never very large, Breedlove began to decline around 1900. A cotton gin was built next to the school in the late 1880s or 1890s but ceased operating around 1900. By 1936 the community no longer appeared on highway maps.

Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948. A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Odessa Morrow Isbell, “Breedlove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/breedlove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Breedlove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cooke County
Associated Names

Needmore