The Brenham Banner-Press began publication in Washington County in 1866 as the Southern Banner. It reflected the political controversy that developed during Reconstruction and was published as a weekly until 1913. It served as an organ of the resurgent Democratic party. Between 1871 and 1876 the paper was known as the Brenham Banner and appeared in weekly and semiweekly editions published by John G. Rankin. From 1877 until 1907 it was a weekly published by Rankin and McCrimmon as the Brenham Weekly Banner. In 1876 the paper became a daily published by Rankin and Levin. The Brenham Daily Press was published by George Tucker from around 1893 until 1913, when it merged with the Brenham Daily Banner to form the Brenham Daily Banner Press, which appeared from 1913 until 1926 in both daily and weekly editions. In 1917 the paper became the first Texas daily to hire a female editor. After 1926 the paper was called the Brenham Banner-Press and appeared daily. In the 1990s the Banner-Press was published and edited by Charles Moser and had a circulation of 5,611.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Diana J. Kleiner, “Brenham Banner-Press,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brenham-banner-press.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.