Brileytown, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Brileytown, also known as Old Brileytown, was an early settlement just off U.S. Highway 59 fifteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County. Sources suggest that the area was settled prior to the Civil War. At one time there were several stores at the site. By 1880, however, Brileytown was deserted. Subsequently, a public school began operating there before 1900; in 1904 it had an enrollment of twenty-five. The school later closed, and in the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Brileytown, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brileytown-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Brileytown
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1364401
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nacogdoches County
Associated Names

Old-

Briley Town

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.79434140°
  • Longitude: -94.53715160°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until February 6, 2023
Adopted by:
Jena L. Briley
Dedication Message:
In honor of Adalaide Rambin & Andrew Jackson Briley and their descendants