George Valter Brindley, surgeon and administrator of Scott and White Memorial Hospital in Temple, was born in Auburn, Texas, on January 8, 1886, the son of George Goldthwaite and Mattie (Haines) Brindley. He attended Grandview Junior College in Texas from 1903 to 1906, then went on to earn his M.D. at the University of Texas in 1911. He began his association with Scott and White Hospital in 1911, when he joined the staff of what was then called Temple Sanitarium. During his long career at the hospital, he served as a surgeon and as head of the surgery unit and was one of the chief administrators of the institution for over half a century. In 1917, on the death of Dr. Raleigh R. White, one of the founders of the hospital, Brindley was appointed to the board of directors of Scott and White and received shares in the private corporation. He assisted in the hospital's shift from a partnership structure to a group practice and helped preside over the dramatic expansion of the institution from the 1920s to the 1940s. In 1949 Brindley, along with A. C. Scott, Jr., and M. W. Sherwood, donated $1.5 million in stock and assets to convert the hospital from a private institution to a public one. He became a cofounder of the Scott, Sherwood, and Brindley Foundation, which owned and administered the hospital's physical assets, and served on the board of trustees of the foundation.
Brindley was a lecturer at the University of Texas medical school from 1945 to 1949, and in 1951, as assistant dean of the university's Temple facility, he directed the training of surgeons at Scott and White. He also published a number of articles in medical journals. He was president of the Texas Medical Association in 1949 and of the American Cancer Society in 1956. He married Arabella Owens in 1913; they had three sons, all of whom became physicians. Brindley was a Baptist and a long-time board member of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. He died on October 7, 1970, and is buried in Temple.