Brinker, TX


By: J. E. Jennings

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Brinker, on Farm Road 69 seven miles east of Sulphur Springs in eastern Hopkins County, was settled around 1845 and named for a pioneer family. A school was built there in 1872, financed by private donations. Church services were held in the school until 1880, when a Baptist church building was erected. Smith Bromley opened a local cotton gin in 1882. A Brinker post office opened in 1901 with Susan W. Coppedge as postmistress; it operated until 1906. In the mid-1930s Brinker had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1940 the reported population was twenty. In the late 1980s the community had a meeting hall, a church, and a cemetery.

Sylvia M. Kibart and Rita M. Adams, eds., Pioneers of Hopkins County, Texas, Vol. 1 (Wolfe City, Texas: Henington, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

J. E. Jennings, “Brinker, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brinker-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Brinker
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378049
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.12733780°
  • Longitude: -95.49245200°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2009