Brogado, TX


By: Julia Cauble Smith

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Brogado is on Sandia Creek and U.S. Highway 290 a mile northeast of Balmorhea in southwestern Reeves County. It was founded before 1880 by Mexican farmers who were drawn to the area by the abundant springwater. A Brogado post office operated in an adobe building from 1894 until 1918. A public school with twenty-four students and one teacher was in session in 1897. The settlement was named for a visiting priest, Father Brogado, who was revered by the people of the parish. In the 1990s Brogado remained a farming community with a store. At the heart of the settlement stood its old Catholic church and cemetery. Brogado reported a population of 122 in 1990.

Alton Hughes, Pecos: A History of the Pioneer West (Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1978). Pecos County Historical Commission, Pecos County History (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1984).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Mexican Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Julia Cauble Smith, “Brogado, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brogado-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Brogado
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Reeves County
Associated Names

India

San Jose

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.98959000°
  • Longitude: -103.72545860°