Brookesmith, between Clear Creek and Spring Branch in southwestern Brown County, was named by David Smith in 1902, in honor of Brownwood banker Brooke Smith. A post office was established at Brookesmith in 1903. The community's early settlers included David Smith and Brooke and Aaron Lee. The town had three cotton gins and several other businesses until cotton farming declined in the 1950s. In the 1980s Brookesmith had the post office, a store, a gas station, and a twelve-grade school. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the community reported a population of sixty-one.