Brookshire Brothers

By: Anne B. Hinton

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994

During the fall of 1921 Austin and Tom M. Brookshire of Lufkin pooled their resources to open a grocery business named Brookshire Brothers on the courthouse square. By 1928 eight brothers and sisters had invested in the partnership. Brookshire Brothers No. 2 was opened in Nacogdoches, No. 3 in Tyler, and No. 4 in Henderson. By 1939 all but four family members had left the partnership to enter other enterprises. In 1962 the partnership converted itself to a corporation, and officers of the next generation of the Brookshires, along with their children, assumed managerial positions. The corporation introduced an employee profit-sharing plan and in 1991 offered study courses to personnel interested in modern merchandising and sales innovations. By 1990 Brookshire Brothers, Incorporated, had grown to sixty-one diversified stores, five of which were in Louisiana. The network of stores extended north to Carthage, south to Clute, west to Rockdale, and east to De Ridder, Louisiana. The corporate complex occupied ninety-seven acres on Lufkin Loop 287 and included a distribution center, offices, bakery, and service buildings. The delivery fleet had thirty-six tractors and eighty-six semi-trailers that traveled an average of 4,160,000 miles yearly. In 1986 the business added nine Budget Chopper stores, a warehouse-style operation with fewer amenities and lower prices.

Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976). "Top of the Market," Texas Monthly, April 1988. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anne B. Hinton, “Brookshire Brothers,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994