Broome, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Broome, on the North Concho River and U.S. Highway 87 ten miles southeast of Sterling City in east central Sterling County, was founded in 1924 as a station on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and was named for early rancher C. A. Broome. The community acquired a post office that was discontinued in 1939. In 1947 the settlement had a combination store and filling station and a population of twenty-five. Its population was eighteen in 1980, and by 1990 no population figures were reported for the community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Broome, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/broome-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Broome
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378052
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Sterling County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.75958920°
  • Longitude: -100.83732920°