The Brown Foundation, in Houston, Texas, was established in 1951 by Margarett and Herman Brown and Alice and George R. Brown as a nonprofit charitable foundation. The Browns accumulated substantial wealth from the mid-1900s construction and oil pipeline industry. In 1962 the Browns gave additional resources to the foundation; in 1963, after their deaths, the estate of Margarett and Herman Brown was given to the Brown Foundation. All funds donated to the foundation and income generated from these funds are to be used for public charitable purposes, principally for support, encouragement, and assistance to the arts and education. The Brown Foundation awards grants to artistic, educational, medical, and other charitable organizations. The affairs of the foundation are managed by a board of trustees composed of ten members, nine of whom are related either by blood, adoption, or marriage to one of the four original donors. Since 1951, the Brown Foundation has awarded at least $1.4 billion in grants, with nearly 80 percent staying within the state of Texas. By 2014, the foundation reported $1.3 billion in assets and almost $75 million in total giving. Local education grants included $68,000 to the Children's Center for Self Esteem, $50,000 to the Brenda and John H. Duncan Rise School of Houston, $25,000 to Houston's Center for Hearing and Speech. The foundation regularly awards grants to nonprofits outside of Texas, including San Francisco, Tulsa, Boston, and Little Rock. Additionally, the Brown Foundation contributed $10,000 to the Aurora Picture Show, $100,000 to the Center for African American Military History, and $225,000 to the Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston. Recent grant amounts range from $1,000 to $4.2 million. The Brown Foundation funds projects that address root causes of a concern rather than treating symptoms, serve as a catalyst to stimulate collaborative efforts by several sectors of the community, result in a growing and long lasting impact on the situation beyond the value of the grant itself, and reflect and encourage sound financial planning and solid management practices in administration of the project.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The Hooper Directory of Texas Foundations.
- Texas Post World War II
- Upper Gulf Coast
- East Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Katherine B. Dobelman, “Brown Foundation,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brown-foundation.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.