Brown's Creek, TX


By: Sylvia Edwards

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 18, 2019


Brown's Creek, a farming and ranching community with a one-room school, was twelve miles south of Gatesville in southern Coryell County. In 1855 John M. Brown settled on the creek, which was named for him. Residents received their mail at Boaz from 1875 until 1912. The community was in decline when the area was appropriated for Camp Hood (later Fort Hood) in 1942.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Sylvia Edwards, “Brown's Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/browns-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 18, 2019

Place
Brown's Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County