Brownsboro, TX (Caldwell County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 29, 2018


Brownsboro is on Farm Road 1322 eight miles southeast of Lockhart in south central Caldwell County. Prior to being settled in the 1850s, the Clear Fork Baptist Church was established there in 1848. The community that grew up around the church was named for R. A. Brown. In the 1920s the community's economy received a boost from the discovery of oil in nearby fields. Brownsboro had a store, a gin, and a school, in addition to the church, to serve about fifty families. In the 1930s the community had a semiprofessional baseball team. Brownsboro began to fade in the 1940s, when the population fell to twenty-five. Area children attended the nearby Oakland school until it was consolidated with the Lockhart Independent School District in 1949. A few scattered houses remained at the site of Brownsboro in the 1980s. In 2014 the population was estimated at fifty.

Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Brownsboro, TX (Caldwell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brownsboro-tx-caldwell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 29, 2018

Place
Brownsboro
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378057
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.78383680°
  • Longitude: -97.60916430°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2014