Bruce, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bruce was fifteen miles northwest of Cleburne in western Johnson County. The site was settled in the early 1880s and named for early settler Horatio Gates Bruce. By the mid-1880s the community had two churches, a school, and a general store. Between 1885 and 1891 it had a post office. In 1892 it had four businesses and a population of fifty. During the first three decades of the twentieth century most of the families moved to nearby Godley. By 1930 Bruce was no longer an organized community.

Johnson County History Book Committee, History of Johnson County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Bruce, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bruce-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bruce
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Johnson County