Brumley, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Brumley, on Farm Road 2454 eleven miles northwest of Gilmer in northern Upshur County, was settled before 1900. A school was operating there around 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of eighty-three. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a store, and a number of scattered houses; the estimated population in 1940 was twenty. After World War II the Brumley school was consolidated with that of Union Hill, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of Brumley was a church and a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 the church was still there.

Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Brumley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brumley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Brumley
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378058
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Upshur County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.87957310°
  • Longitude: -95.01493830°
Population Counts
People Year
75 2009