Brummet, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Brummet, also known as Brummet Settlement, was a frontier community on Siestadero Creek four miles northeast of Bigfoot in the extreme northeast corner of Frio County. Early accounts indicate that the settlement was located between the Old Fort Ewell Road and the Old Laredo Road. It is believed to be the first settlement in Frio County; the oldest legible gravestone in the Brummet Cemetery dates back to 1860. Brummet Settlement may have been the home of Joseph W. Gardner or members of his immediate family in the late 1850s. A school by the name of Centerville operated in the area in 1929. In 1989 the Brummet Cemetery was all that remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Brummet, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brummet-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Brummet
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Frio County
Associated Names

-Settlement

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.07135510°
  • Longitude: -98.81224770°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until September 19, 2022
Adopted by:
Sam Ridgway
Dedication Message:
In memory of Ridgway family ancestors