Brunner was on the Houston and Texas Central Railway three miles west of Houston in west central Harris County. It had a post office as early as 1888. In 1894 the population was 200. The post office was discontinued in 1905, and mail was delivered from Houston. In 1895 a Baptist college, a German school, and a public school were in operation in Brunner, and the town had two churches, a saloon, and a population of 500. As late as 1905 the population remained at 482, but by 1915, with the expansion of Houston, Brunner was no longer considered a separate community.