Brunswick, TX


By: E. W. Cole

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Brunswick, sixteen miles southeast of Rusk in southern Cherokee County, was established in 1903 by the Cherokee Orchard Company and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, which developed a demonstration farm there for the scientific cultivation of orchard and garden plants. The farm was supervised by Edward Body, who named the new community after his native town in Canada. A Presbyterian church was built at Brunswick, but no school. Unfortunately, the location proved to be in a "frost pocket," where fruit buds were often nipped. In 1931 the St. Louis Southwestern abandoned the farm, the depot, and the packing plants. One store and a population of forty-five were reported in 1940. In the early 1990s Brunswick was a dispersed rural community with an estimated fifty residents. The town no longer appeared on maps in 2000.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

E. W. Cole, “Brunswick, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/brunswick-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Brunswick
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381527
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cherokee County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.58184460°
  • Longitude: -95.06188280°