Bryan Beach State Recreation Area

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bryan Beach State Recreation Area is off County Road 723 just outside Freeport in Brazoria County. The 878-acre park was acquired by purchase from private owners in 1973 and named for James Perry Bryan, who built a home there in 1881 and operated a store at nearby Peach Point. Covered with dunes, some up to ten feet in height, the undeveloped park is home to a wide variety of coastal vegetation, including various grasses, shrubs, and forbs. Native animals include ground squirrels, gophers, grasshopper mice, rice rats, cotton rats, rabbits, and opossums. Shorebirds are common, and waterfowl and other migratory birds can be observed.

Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Bryan Beach State Recreation Area,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bryan-beach-state-recreation-area.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading