Bryce, TX


By: Megan Biesele

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bryce is three miles north of Caledonia and nine miles east of Mount Enterprise in southeastern Rusk County. It was established as a lumbering community in the 1880s and originally named Eulalie. The first postmaster was Henry H. Moreland, appointed in 1893. By 1896 the community had an estimated population of 150, two churches, a physician, at least three businesses, and possibly a school. However, the post office was permanently discontinued in 1907, and the mail rerouted to Timpson. By 1910 the population had fallen to seventy-five; throughout the 1930s it was recorded as forty. By 1984 the community was known as Bryce. In 2000 the population was fifteen.

Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Megan Biesele, “Bryce, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bryce-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bryce
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034730
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Rusk County
Associated Names

Eulalie

Liles

Wragg's Hill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.96822330°
  • Longitude: -94.54048360°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009