Buchel, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Buchel is on U.S. Highway 183 five miles north of Cuero in eastern DeWitt County. The Buchel school, named for Otto Buchel, on whose land it was built, was established in 1894 and operated until 1950. The Oakville Sunday school, organized in 1894, met in the school building. The 1936 county highway map shows a church at the site, and the 1965 map shows a community center and cemeteries as well. A San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway depot ten miles southwest of Buchel, midway between Cuero and Yorktown, was also named Buchel and was used for shipping cattle between 1880 and 1930. In 2000 the population was forty-five.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Buchel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buchel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Buchel
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034882
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.15886250°
  • Longitude: -97.29137840°
Population Counts
People Year
45 2009