Buckner, TX (Parker County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Buckner is on a spur off Farm Road 1189 and on the south side of the Brazos River, fifteen miles southwest of Weatherford in southwestern Parker County. It was originally called Big Valley and later renamed in memory of J. M. Buckner, who drowned with his son in the Brazos. In 1881 a cotton gin-gristmill was established there, and the town became a retail point for area farmers. A post office opened at the community in 1884. By the mid-1890s Buckner had seventy-five residents. Its post office was discontinued in 1919. Buckner was still listed as a community in 1990.

Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Buckner, TX (Parker County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buckner-tx-parker-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Buckner
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378064
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Parker County
Associated Names

Big Valley

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.58985630°
  • Longitude: -97.90253550°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2014
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until May 29, 2022
Adopted by:
Josh & Katie Asbill
Dedication Message:
In memory of Kirsten Kasper