Buffalo Springs


By: Gunnar Brune

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Buffalo Springs is near the Oklahoma state line in north central Dallam County (at 36°29' N, 102°47' W). The springs originate from numerous openings in sandstone and in the past were a site for Indian campgrounds and also a favorite watering place for herds of buffalo, mustangs, and other animals. In 1878 the XIT Ranch's first division headquarters was established at the springs. The spring flow declined from 142 liters per second in 1907 to 6.5 in 1977 because of irrigation pumping.

Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Gunnar Brune, “Buffalo Springs,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buffalo-springs.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Buffalo Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381546
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dallam County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 36.48669300°
  • Longitude: -102.75936180°