Buffalo Springs, TX (Comal County)


By: Daniel P. Greene

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Buffalo Springs was a German farming and ranching community on the west bank of the Guadalupe River about 7½ miles northwest of New Braunfels in east central Comal County. The site at the mouth of Turkey Creek, originally settled by the Bremer family in 1848, offered an abundance of timber and water that attracted more German pioneers in the 1850s. By the 1980s Buffalo Springs had been abandoned. Its site was on the road that parallels the Guadalupe River between New Braunfels and Sattler.

Lillian Penshorn, A History of Comal County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, 1950).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Daniel P. Greene, “Buffalo Springs, TX (Comal County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buffalo-springs-tx-comal-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Buffalo Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034682
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.80494300°
  • Longitude: -98.17417680°