Buford, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Buford, at the junction of State Highway 208 and Farm Road 1982, five miles north of Colorado City in north central Mitchell County, was originally called Armenderez for an old mill located there. Later the community's name was changed to Belen and then to Buford in honor of Buford Orndorff of El Paso. The community had a post office from 1907 to 1913 but was served later from Colorado City. In 1947 Buford had a population of ninety, three businesses, two churches, and a school. Its population was reported as twenty-five in 1980, 1990, and 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Buford, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buford-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Buford
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1331582
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Mitchell County
Associated Names

Armenderez

Belen

Center Point

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.46150530°
  • Longitude: -100.85678050°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009