Bulah, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bulah, on Farm Road 23 eight miles southwest of Rusk in southwestern Cherokee County, was established before 1900. In 1940 the predominantly black community had a population of twenty-five, a store, and a union church and school. Most of the residents subsequently moved out of the area, but in the late 1980s a school and a few houses were still there. In the year 2000 the schoolhouse was used for family reunions.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Bulah, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 03, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bulah-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Loading