Bulcher is twenty-seven miles northwest of Gainesville in northwestern Cooke County. In 1872 John A. Dennis moved his family to the site, and they are considered the earliest homesteaders in the area. Later settlers included John Scanland, who donated property for the Scanland Cemetery south and east of Bulcher, and Matthew A. Morris, the postmaster when the post office was established in 1874. Another early resident was William H. Cox, who built a cotton gin in Bulcher in 1875. The population remained fairly stable at around 250 until oil was discovered nearby on June 24, 1926. After the resultant boom, Bulcher began to decline. The town reported a population of forty in 1933 and sixty in 1986. In the early 1990s no population figures were available for the community, but in 2000 it reported a population of six.