Bull Creek (Grimes County)

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994

Bull Creek, a spring-fed intermittent stream, rises a mile south of Iola in northwestern Grimes County (at 30°46' N, 96°03' W) and runs southwest for thirteen miles to its mouth on the Navasota River, the Brazos county line (at 30°40' N, 96°10' W). It traverses gently sloping terrain surfaced by sandy and clay loams that along the creek banks support water oak, pecan, elm, hackberry, post oak, and blackjack oak. Settlement near the stream began in the mid-1830s. Iola was founded north of the headwaters about 1850. In 1860 the Texas and New Orleans Railroad extended a tap line from Navasota to Iola through the vicinity of the upper creek. The Enon Baptist Church was on the north bank of the middle creek near the site of the Enon Cemetery from the late 1800s until 1928, when it was moved closer to Iola. Both the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway and the Houston and Texas Central Railway constructed lines through Iola over the headwaters of the stream about 1907. Farm Road 244 was extended across the upper creek from Iola to Keith in 1949.

Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Bull Creek (Grimes County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bull-creek-grimes-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994