Bulverde, on Cibolo Creek nineteen miles west of New Braunfels in southwestern Comal County, was settled in 1850 and called Pieper Settlement, after Anton Pieper. For many years the closest post office was at Smithson Valley, and mail was delivered once a week to the house of Carl Koch in Bulverde. A local post office that operated from 1879 to 1919 was named for Luciano Bulverdo, an early area landowner. Since 1959 Bulverde has been served by a community post office that opened in Charles L. Wood's store. The town had a population of nearly 100 until the 1960s, when it fell to twenty-five. The Herrera, Ufnau, Honey Creek, Mustang Hill, and Green Hill schools were consolidated with the Bulverde school district, which had an enrollment of fifty-two in 1947. In more recent decades two residential developments have been built near the historic crossroads community.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Oscar Haas, “Bulverde, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bulverde-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.