Buncombe, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Buncombe (Bumcomb, Bunkom, Bunkum), off Farm Road 1970 nine miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was probably established after the Civil War. A school known as Alpine opened there around 1884, and a post office operated at the community from 1891 until 1893. In the mid-1930s the small settlement had the school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with that of Clayton, and by the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In 1990 Buncombe was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of eighty-seven. The population remained the same in 2000.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Buncombe, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/buncombe-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Buncombe
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379475
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Bumcomb

Buncome

Bunkom

Bunkum

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.04905400°
  • Longitude: -94.42381250°
Population Counts
People Year
95 2009