Burgess, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Burgess is on the Little River twelve miles southeast of Belton in southeastern Bell County. The community had a post office from 1894 to 1904 and twenty inhabitants in 1896. Nearby Reed's Lake School enrolled thirty-five pupils in 1903. In 1940 Burgess had a population of twenty-five and one business establishment. By 1964 the site was no longer identified on the topographical map, though there were several scattered dwellings there and the population was reported as fifteen.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Burgess, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/burgess-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Burgess
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Reed's Lake