Burke Town, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Burke Town was an early farming community on Farm Road 2501 six miles north of Apple Springs in northern Trinity County. It was named for Benjamin Burke, who moved to the area from Tyler County about 1859. In 1861 Burke, with the assistance of his slaves, erected a double-pen log house. A small settlement developed nearby in the years after the Civil War but had disappeared by the 1930s. In the early 1990s all that remained of the community was Burke's original houses and the Burke Cemetery.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Burke Town, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/burke-town-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading