Burkett, on State Highway 206 in northeastern Coleman County, was named in 1886 for its first postmaster, William Burkett. The original name, Pleasant Valley, was rejected by the post office. The first settlers were cowboys of the McClennan ranch, who secured land in the area and established a community around the store H. H. Sackett had moved from Camp Colorado. The town progressed as a trading center for several decades. In 1940 it had three churches, a school, five businesses, and 200 residents. Subsequently, the region's rural population declined sharply. The high school closed in 1957 after consolidation with schools in Coleman and Cross Plains. By the 1980s Burkett had a post office, three churches, a community center, a gas station-grocery, and a well-kept cemetery. Farming, ranching, and oil products sustain the community. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was thirty.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
William R. Hunt, “Burkett, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/burkett-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.