Burleson County (Judicial)


By: Seymour V. Connor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Burleson County was established for judicial and other purposes on January 15, 1842. It included all of what is now Burleson County and the northwest portion of what is now Lee County. Caldwell was named the county seat. A few weeks afterwards a Texas Supreme Court decision, Stockton v. Montgomery (1842), declared all judicial counties unconstitutional. The present Burleson County was established in 1846.

James Wilmer Dallam, A Digest of the Laws of Texas (Baltimore: Toy, 1845). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
Places:
  • Counties

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Seymour V. Connor, “Burleson County (Judicial),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/burleson-county-judicial.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994